Hiking gear is necessary for all tours except the Yakushima Island Tour and the short tours around Shiratani Unsuikyo and Yakusugi Land. In particular, good rain wear (including trousers) and hiking boots that protect the ankle are necessary. Cheap rain coats may prevent the rain from penetrating (for a short period), but they also prevent perspiration from leaving the body and a build-up of moisture over a few hours usually means that you become just as wet. During the warmer months between May – September then this is not so much of an issue as the temperatures are usually warm enough. But between October – April then good rain wear that allows for ventilation is highly recommended .
During the summer months then although the mountain temperatures are cooler, we are exerting energy and perspiring is inevitable. Quick dry material is ideal. Cotton will soak quickly and remain wet throughout the day.
Some guests walk better with a hiking pole. Some hikers find them a hindrance. If you consider yourself to have bad balance then we would recommend a hiking pole.
For a regular hiking day tour then we would recommend the following hiking gear:
- hiking boots with ankle support
- rain wear (including trousers)
- @25 liter backpack (rain covers and / or internal dry sacks would be ideal)
- 500 ml bottle (most tours go via streams where re-filling with water is possible)
For longer hiking day tours (ie Jomon Sugi Tour) then we would recommend the above items plus the following:
- head torch and spare batteries
For hiking tours during the winter then we would recommend the following additional items:
- thermal underwear
- warm hat & gloves
- warm jacket
Please check the Yakushima hiking gear list (PDF) for a full run down of gear and also for guests booking overnight tours.
Hiking Gear Rental
Go Yakushima can arrange hiking gear rental from outlets in Anbo and Miyanoura. Please state the hiking gear you require on the Go Yakushima booking form and include the necessary sizes. Approximate rental rates for 2 nights / 3 days are as follows:
- Hiking boot rental : 1,800 yen
- Rain wear rental (jacket & trousers) : 1,800 yen
- Rain trouser rental : 1,000 yen
- Small backpack rental : 1,000 yen
- Large overnight backpack rental : 2,000 yen
- Hiking pole rental : 800 yen
- Sleeping bag & mat rental : 2,500 yen
- Two person tent rental : 4,400 yen
- Head light rental : 400 yen